Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Landing a new job: Behind the scenes - [4]: "Why did you leave your last job?"

This is by far the most commonplace job interview question of them all [maybe with "Which is your biggest disadvantage/weakness?"]. There are really no fixed answers. Maybe you should judge by the cover on this one, i.e. try to figure out what type of person the interviewer you are dealing with is and go accordingly.

For example, with men it is easier to tell the truth, whereas with women you will inevitably have to come up with fancy answers. The case is, in any case, that this is a very stupid question because you only leave a job for one of the following reasons:

  1. Get fired
  2. They are idiots so you quit
  3. You see no light at the end of the tunnel so you leave to try something better
I cannot see the point in having to give some beautiful answer [in our case this is answer 3] only because the interviewer expects to hear one. This is more like taking your SAT rather than actually being interviewed for a job.

In any case, some nice answers to this question include:

  • When you have been fired:
    • I left my former employer because I was downsized.
    • I left my former employer because the offices moved and I could not follow.
  • When you resign:
    • I left because I could see no professional perspectives and I am a really ambitious and hard working person.
    • I left because I had completed my route in that company and I felt it was time to move on.
I am waiting for your comments and suggestions. Maybe we are able to come up with some killing answer after all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.